New Acquisitions in Church History @JPBCL
Welcome to the research guide for Early Christianity and Patristics! Here you will find resources to aid your research for the period covering the New Testament period to approximately 750 A.D. This guide is divided into five resource categories, listed in the tabs above:
- General Reference Works: Comprehensive reference works on Christianity for finding out basic information about a person or topic.
- Specialized Reference Works: More in-depth reference books on patristics for further research.
- Primary Texts: How to find primary texts of patristic authors, both in the original languages and in English translation.
- Journals: Scholarly journals that publish articles and book reviews on patristics.
- Websites and Blogs: Resources for full text of patristic writings and blogs about new publications and resources.
This is a work in progress; Please feel free to send us your questions, comments or suggestions!
Subject Headings & Call Numbers
Use the phrase "Fathers of the Church" instead of "church fathers" or "patristics." Narrower terms and subject headings in the LCSH include:
- Apostolic Fathers
- Cappadocian Fathers
- Church history -- Primitive and early church, ca. 30-600
- Coptic Fathers of the Church
- Desert Fathers
- Fathers of the church, Arabic
- Fathers of the church, Armenian
- Fathers of the church, Ethiopic
- Fathers of the church, Syriac
Call number ranges:
- BR60-BR67 (Patrology)
- BR1705 (Collective Biography)
About this Guide
The James P. Boyce Centennial Library would like to thank Suzanne Estelle-Holmer, a librarian of Yale University, and Juliet Crawford Schwab, a library science student at Syracuse University, who contributed much of the original content that was adapted for this libguide.